What's your New Year's vision of the world you want to live in?

• Dear TCM Activists,
    In this time of the Winter Solstice, the return of the light, I want to challenge all of us to remember to envision what we DO want in the world. It is compelling and important to focus on what is wrong, especially now. But if thoughts have power and energy to create, as suggested by quantum physics (from my spiritual, layperson’s limited understanding), then it is essential that we spend time also imagining and giving power to what we want to create, the world we want to see, the planet we want to live on and bequeath to our children. Spending just a minute each day concentrating on our vision of a beautiful world will energize us and may also energize the Universe to conspire on our behalf. Let’s share our visions and bring the light back.
    I’ll start! I love EO Wilson’s half-Earth vision described in TCM’s Victory Plan: I see the Rocky Mountains and Great Plains repopulated with wildlife, rich with animals and plants. I see many majestic trees towering to the skies in the Rockies, and the grasses of the prairies waving in the wind, golden and teeming with life, bison grazing, eagles soaring. I see ordinary Americans tending the land, helping to restore beauty, learning the wisdom of the biosphere. I see plains of wind turbines coexisting with plains of grass, birds and bees winging and buzzing and pollinating and creating.
    What do you see?
    Many blessings,
    Kimberley

• Introduction

As a form of protest, non-violent disobedience in violation of social norms would be lying like Donald Trump.

Action: After Jan 20, 2017, everyone behaves like Donald Trump. The absurdity of everyone behaving like Trump means everyone acts in morally unacceptable ways.

Reductio ad Absurdum
    "Reduce to absurdity and when you do that everybody sees the absurd path you are on."

President Trump’s interpersonal practices cannot represent morally acceptable modes of behavior if they do not align with general rules that can be applied to anyone as social norms.

Governor Brown

California Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. delivered remarks Dec. 14, 2016, at the American Geophysical Union’s Fall Meeting in San Francisco.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSgncpqWtE&t=347s

“There is a paradoxical benefit when someone takes to an absurd length a completely erroneous position because that then unmasks the error in such a vivid way that allows everyone else to refute, to join together and to be embolden to move forward.”

Lying

President-elect Trump lies by telling falsehoods at his convenience (over 500 lies: https://www.thestar.com/news/world/uselection/2016/11/04/donald-trump-the-unauthorized-database-of-false-things.html#analysis ).

When this behavior is generalized and becomes a social norm, this would destroy verbal communication.  Since the practice of lying at your convenience reduces to absurdity when implemented as a general rule, this is judged to be morally unacceptable.

Example of President-elect Trump lying:
    "If Russia, or some other entity, was hacking, why did the White House wait so long to act? Why did they only complain after Hillary lost?”
    Fact: Accusations came months before the election.

First, lying.  Trump lies, therefore everyone will lie. Start telling lies. Make things up about China or Russia. Think about your beliefs and what you know as Truth, then state the opposite.

As a form of protest, everyone will behave in morally unacceptable ways. Let’s start with lying and then move on to self-contraction and giving instructions that can not be satisfied.

Examples

Argument from Consequences

If we get rid of our cows then we won’t have meat to eat or milk to drink and that would be terrible for our young children, and people have always eaten meat and drank milk therefore cow farts are not killing our planet.

Straw Man

President Trump wants to register Muslims. President Trump wants to protect America from Islamic Terrorism.

President Trump wants an open border with Canada so that their weak immigration policy allows terrorists to enter America.

ad hominem

President Trump is not a real Republican. The Donald is a member of the new Whig Party that has anti-Catholic, racist, anti-immigrant, white supremacists called “know-nothings”.

Looks like your connection to FORUM was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.